Softball drops two to Augsburg, Gusties next

<rleton College softball team was unable to collect enough clutch hits and was swept in a doubleheader at Augsburg College on Wednesday. The Knights left 19 runners on base—including 11 in scoring position—on the afternoon and were unable to take full advantage of five Augsburg errors in the opener, falling 3-1. It was more of the same in the nightcap as Carleton out-hit the home team but went 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position and lost a 5-0 decision.

After Carleton left two runners aboard in the first inning of game one, Augsburg chased home a pair of runs in the bottom of the frame. The lead eventually grew to three runs, and the Auggies escaped a bases-loaded jam in the sixth.

The Knights finally got on the board in the seventh after consecutive two-out errors by the home team paved the way for Dana Mackey’s ‘12 run-scoring single.

Game two started in similar fashion as the Auggies got two runs in the bottom of the first off Carleton starter Chelsea Yost ‘13. Augsburg tacked on two more in the fifth and another in the sixth.

The sweep improves Augsburg’s record to 17-11 overall, 7-3 in MIAC play — its best record after 28 games since going 18-10 in the 1992 season, en route to a 24-12 overall finish. Carleton slips to 5-19, 2-8 in conference action.

The Knights travel to Gustavus Adolphus College for a pair of games on Saturday, April 17.