Baseball starts season with two losses

<rleton baseball team (0-2) dropped both ends of a doubleheader against Bethany Lutheran College (2-0) in the Metrodome to open the 2010 campaign. The Knights dropped the opener 5-0 while only managing one hit and lost the second 6-3.

In the first game starter Aaron Troyansky ’10 was unable to work out of first inning jam eventually giving up a grand slam to Bethany Lutheran’s Darin Hendley. Troyanksy (0-1) would settle down only yielding three hits and one run over the next four plus innings. In relief, Kiyota Gomi ’12  recorded a scoreless inning of work while striking out two. The lone hit of the game off Bethany Lutheran pitcher Cody Hallahan was a single by Russ Fujisawa ’10. Hallahan only surrendered two baserunners and struck out 10 Knights in five innings of work.

In game two the Vikings jumped out to another first inning lead, scoring two runs off starter Michael Servis ’11 on a Hendley single. The Vikings would notch two more in the second. In his three innings of work Servis (0-1) struck out seven. The Vikings would also score a pair in the fourth off reliever Paul Dimick ’12. Jacob Anderson ’11 pitched a scoreless seventh in his 2010 debut, striking out one.

The Knights scored three runs in the bottom of the third when Fujisawa singled, Alex Wirta ’12 doubled, Dan Lojovich ’10 walked and Patrick Philley ’12 singled to right to score two. An error by the right fielder also allowed Lojovich to score

Bethany Lutheran was picked to finish first in the UMAC preseason coaches’ poll for the first time in school history.

The Knights’ next game will be Tuesday, March 9 at 9:15 p.m. at the Metrodome when they take on Luther College in another non-conference doubleheader.

-Courtesy of Sports Information