With two wins, men’s soccer retains first place in MIAC

<ccer team has welcomed the chilly October weather by extending its winning streak to six games. The Knights began another busy week with a win over St. John’s University by a score of 3-0. An early corner kick led to a Ross Hamilton ‘10 rebound goal to open the scoring. Despite applying consistent pressure to the Johnnie defense, the Knights were denied a second goal until the second half when Miles Silbert ’12 calmly collected a cross before knocking in his fifth goal of the season. The Knights put the game away late in the second half when Taylor Ward ’13 tapped in a loose ball after Ryan Cammarota ‘12 fought off an onslaught of Johnnie slide tackles.

Last Sunday provided even more thrilling action as the men’s soccer team hosted its alumni in a battle for the ages. The game provided the opportunity for several of the Knights’ younger players to challenge an all-star lineup of Carleton greats. The return of recent graduates Paul Pedtke ’09 and Jack Boller ’09 led a solid defensive effort by the alumni as they allowed the younger Knights only one goal on the day. The alumni attack led by Bobby “The Hurricane” Phillips ’09 managed two goals on the day, which led to the 2-1 alumni victory.

The men’s team returned to MIAC play on Wednesday as they faced the second place Bethel Pipers under the lights at the National Sports Center. The Knights once again raced out of the gates as Ryan Cammarota played a brilliant ball to a speedy Tyler Bechtel ’13 who notched his first collegiate goal.

The Knights added to their lead minutes later when Tim Wills ’12 connected with Wes Elfman ’11 on a ball, which allowed Elfman to split through the Piper defense before slotting the ball just inside the far post.

The Pipers failed to stop the Knights attack as Ross Hamilton ’10 scored his third and fourth goals of the season to reassure the Knights’ win. The 4-0 victory keeps the Knights atop the MIAC standings at 6-1 (8-3 overall).

The Knights look to continue their dominance this week as they face UW-Platteville at 1 pm on Saturday on Bell Field before travelling to St. Thomas on Wednesday to play the Tommies at 4 pm in an important MIAC match up.