Women’s tennis takes second seed

<losed the regular season with a 9-0 victory over Macalester College. Among the winners on this day was first-year Linnea Carlson, who was victorious at second doubles then rallied to win the third-set tiebreaker in singles action.

Carleton (12-5, 9-1 MIAC) opened the match by sweeping the doubles lineup. Kathryn Schmidt ’12 and Erin Gudul ’12, the 10th-ranked tandem in the region, improved to 14-3 on the season. Carlson and Frances Leung ’10 dispatched of their opponents by an 8-2 score, while Devin Daugherty ’11 and Hannah Goldberg ’10 rallied for an 8-5 victory at third doubles.

The same six players contested the singles matches. Schmidt, ranked No. 4 in the region cruised past Angie Horner, the region’s 28th-ranked singles player, 6-3 and 6-2. Gudul, Leung, Goldberg and Daugherty also won in straight sets, while Carlson added drama with her three-set victory.
“We put together a very good effort,” said Carleton Head Coach Luciano Battaglini. “Our energy was very high throughout the match. I’m very pleased with how we finished the regular season.”
The Knights had already locked up the second seed and a first-round bye in this weekend’s MIAC tournament. Carleton’s semifinal match is slated for 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 2 in St. Peter, Minn. A victory there could pit the Knights against host and top-seed Gustavus Adolphus College in the finals, which begin at 3 p.m.

-Courtesy of Sports Information