Knights tennis on five match streak

<lose out their regular season with a five-match winning streak after pulling out a 5-4 triumph over visiting Macalester College. Carleton (14-9, 8-1 MIAC) trailed after the completion of the doubles portion of the match, but wins in four of the singles matches, including a three-set thriller by Austin Taylor ’11 that secured the victory.

Macalester opened play with wins at first and second doubles before rookies Ben Guzick and Sam Megowen pulled out a 9-7 score at third doubles for Carleton’s first point.

Guzick was then one of three Knights to win their singles matches in straight sets. After taking the opening set 6-2, he secured the point by a 7-6 score in the second set.
Taylor won the first set 6-3, then saw Titus Levy even the match 7-6. Taylor pulled away in the third-set tiebreaker for a 10-5 score, giving the Knights a necessary point.
“We had quite a dogfight today against a young and very tenacious Macalester squad,” said Carleton Head Coach Stephan Zweifel. “It took some last-minute heroics from Ben and Austin to pull out a victory.”

The Knights received a first-round bye in this weekend’s MIAC Playoffs by virtue of finishing second in the regular-season standings. If Carleton can get by its semifinal opponent at 9 a.m. on Saturday, May 2, the Knights would likely face host Gustavus Adolphus, the top seed in the six-team tournament.

-Courtesy of Sports Information