Marschall wins NCAA scholarship

< Marschall an eight-time All-American with three additional All-America Honorable Mentions on his aquatic résumé, has been awarded a NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship.

Marschall was one of 58 scholarships winners nationwide to win the $7,500 award, with 29 female and 29 male student-athletes from a winter sport each receiving a scholarship for post-graduate studies. A 3.80 student in physics, he is leaning towards enrolling at the University of Rochester (N.Y.) in the fall of 2009 to study quantum optics or condensed matter physics. He is Carleton’s 10th NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship award-winner in the last five years and its 28th overall.

A four-time letterwinner, Marschall is one of the most dominating and successful swimmers in recent history at Carleton. He earned a trip to the NCAA Swimming Championships all four years, and in 12 individual events, he earned All-America or All-American Honorable Mention distinction a total of 11 times.

In his initial trip to the national meet in 2006, Marschall finished fifth and earned All-America honors in the 400-yard individual medley. He received honorable mention with a 13th-place showing in the 200-yard individual medley. A year later he touched the wall fourth in both races to grab two more All-America honors and added an 11th-place performance in the 200-yard breaststroke to take home honorable mention status.

Marschall’s junior season may have been his most dominating as he was selected as the MIAC men’s swimmer of the year in 2008 after setting three records and winning three individual titles at the conference meet. That momentum carried over to the NCAA Championships where he placed second in the 200 and 400 IM and improved to fourth in the 200 breaststroke. He received All-America distinction in each race, joining Marie Marsman as Carleton’s only student-athletes to earn All-America honors in three individual events at a single NCAA Championship.

He added four All-MIAC awards in 2009, raising his career total to 19. He then concluded his collegiate career with All-American performances in the 200 IM (fifth) and 200 breaststroke (eighth), plus an honorable-mention swim (ninth) in the 400 IM.

Marschall holds seven individual school records, owning the top spot in the 500-yard freestyle (4:43.34), 1000-yard freestyle (9:43.11), 1650-yard freestyle (16:18.63), 100-yard butterfly (51.49), 200 breaststroke (2:01.97), 200-yard individual medley (1:49.66) and 400-yard individual medley (3:55.70). He also swam a leg the record-setting 400-yard freestyle, 200-yard medley and 400-yard medley relays. Additionally, he possesses two MIAC Championship Meet records, having set the standard in the 200 IM (1:49.72) in 2008 and the 400 IM (3:55.70) this season.

Out of the water, Marschall was involved with Relay for Life and later the Ted Mullin Hour of Power for Cancer Research as well as Northfield-area Special Olympics. He was a member of the Student Athletic Advisory Committee (SAAC). During the summer of 2008, he worked on a research project at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center in Menlo Park, Calif. He’s a member of Sigma Xi, which honors top scientific researchers.

The Carleton standout was one of two MIAC student-athletes to receive the prestigious scholarship. Gustavus Adolphus College’s Dave Pearson (swimming and diving) also received the award.
The NCAA awarded 58 postgraduate scholarships of $7,500 each to 29 male and 29 female student-athletes in all three NCAA divisions who participated in winter sports this academic year.
The scholarships are awarded to student-athletes who excel academically and athletically and who are in their final year of intercollegiate athletics competition. The Association awards up to 174 postgraduate scholarships annually, 87 for men and 87 for women. The NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship was created in 1964 to promote and encourage postgraduate education by rewarding the Association’s most accomplished student-athletes through their participation in NCAA championship and/or emerging sports. Athletics and academic achievements, as well as campus involvement, community service, volunteer activities and demonstrated leadership, are evaluated. In maintaining the highest broad-based standards in the selection process, the program aims to reward those individuals whose dedication and effort are reflective of those characteristics necessary to succeed and thrive through postgraduate study in an accredited graduate degree program.

-Courtesy of Sports Information