Men’s swim takes 4th at MIAC Championship

<rleton men’s swimming & diving team recorded a 14th consecutive top-four finish at the MIAC Championships, holding off Saint John’s on the final day to earn fourth place. Senior Ted Marschall posted his third NCAA automatic qualifier of the championships as his time of 2:02.60 was second overall in the 200 breaststroke.

St. Olaf won its record 27th team title with 851 points, followed by Gutavus (738) and St. Thomas (487). The Knights entered the final day fourth in the team standings and maintained their hold on that spot throughout the evening session to edge the Johnnies 441-431.

John Knapp ’09 got Carleton’s night started off right as he earned All-MIAC honors after finishing second on the 3-meter board. Eric Brenner ’11 placed fourth overall.

While diving was going on, Kevin Hallman ’12 earned a 12th–place finish in the 1650 freestyle.

Andrew Mering ’11 grabbed sixth place in the 200 backstroke. His time of 1:56.09 is third-fastest on Carleton’s all-time Top 10. Senior Ryan Terrien finished 12th during the consolation final.

Seniors Elliot Bartis and Jared Plotz finished ninth and 11th respectively in the 100 freestyle.

Marschall posted his third NCAA automatic qualifier of the championships as his time of 2:02.60 was second overall and within 0.11 seconds of his school record. Djem Kissiov ’12 and Eugene Nishi ’10 recorded 11th and 12th place finishes in the same event.

A trio of Knights raced in the consolation finals of the 200 butterfly. Brian Kilgour ’11 won the heat and finished ninth overall, improving his preliminary time by more than 1.2 seconds. David Nonberg ’09 concluded his collegiate career by finishing third in this race and 11th overall. Rookie Casey Andree contributed a 14th-place showing.

Carleton had a 14-point lead over Saint John’s for fourth heading into the final event and Bartis, Marschall, Plotz and Kissiov made it stand up. The foursome broke the school record with their time of 3:09.52, which was good enough for fifth in a very competitive race.