Women’s track and field takes 3rd at St. Olaf Triangular

<rleton women’s track and field team competed in its first meet of the season, placing third at the St. Olaf Triangular, behind the Oles and Hamline Pipers.

The strength of the team in this meet was the distance runners. Simone Childs-Walker ’12; Laura Roach ’10 and Lindsey Nietmann ’09 finished less that a second apart as they crossed the line 1-2-3 in the mile run.

Childs-Walker returned to the track later and also prevailed in the 3000 meter race. Nietmann also captured first-place honors as she crossed the line first in the 1000 meter run.

Amy Elson ’10 displayed her all-around talents by winning the high jump with a height of 1.35 meters. She also placed third in the long jump and finished fifth in the 200 meter dash.

Childs-Walker performances earned her the distinction of being named the MIAC Women’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Week.

Her time of 5:17.09 in the mile led a trio of Carleton runners across the line and was a 40-second personal record. In the 3000 meter run, she finished in 10:26.65, the fastest time this season in the MIAC.

The 5-foot, 2-inch rookie was the top racer on Carleton’s cross country team this fall, finishing third at the MIAC Championships. She earned the conference’s cross country runner of the week honors on Oct. 20.