Wind proves too much for women’s tennis

<men's tennis team finally returned to outdoor play 18 days after Spring Break only to be stopped by the wind-efficient Scots of Macalester.

The women uncharacteristically began the dual with singles play. Macalester certainly made the best of the wind and home-court advantage, winning the first five singles matches off the court en route to capturing the 6-3 victory.

Hannah Goldberg ’10 was Carleton’s lone victor during the singles competition. She won the first set, 7-6, then needed a third set victory, 10-4, to prevail. Five of her singles wins this year have come in three-set matches.

The Knights were able to finish strong, capturing convincing victories at second and third doubles.

Youth and experience teamed up for the victory at second doubles as senior Lisa Ottum and first-year Devin Daugherty posted an 8-4 triumph.

Sarah Wehrly ’08 and Hannah Clemons ’10 notched an 8-3 victory in the third doubles match.

The women return to play on Fri., April 18 against the College of Saint Benedict. The match, originally scheduled for April 12th, will be key in determining fourth through sixth seeds for the MIAC conference tournament on April 25-26 at Gustavus Adolphus College.

Carleton concludes the regular season with home matches against Concordia College on Sunday, April 20 and Hamline University on Monday, April 21.