Despite barrage of three-pointers, men’s rally comes up short

<rleton College men’s basketball team (13-7, 8-7 MIAC) lost its third straight game, falling 70-66 at Bethel University (12-7, 8-6 MIAC). The loss drops the Knights into a tie with Saint John’s for fifth place in the conference standings. Zach Johnson ‘09 had a team-high 17 points and 7 rebounds for Carleton. He knocked down four of the Knights’ season-high 13 three-pointers.

It had been nearly a year since Carleton had made as many triples, dropping 13 of them against Hamline University on Feb. 5, 2007.

While the Knights used their long-range shooting to stay in the game, Bethel owned a 37-19 edge on the glass, including 14 offensive rebounds. The victory leapfrogged the Royals into a tie for third place in a crowded MIAC race. Five teams are within a game-and-a-half for slots 3-7 in the standings.

Tonight’s back-and-forth tussle featured eight ties and 12 lead changes.

Carleton used an 11-2 run midway through the second half to build a seven-point advantage, 50-43. The Royals answered right back with a 16-7 run to regain the lead at 59-57 with 5:25 remaining.

The Knights final lead came after Bryan Rosett ‘10 hit a layup with 2:26 on the clock. Carleton’s one-point advantage was erased when Mike Much pulled down an offensive rebound and converted the putback.

Much, starting in place of the injured Cory Laugen, accounted for 10 points and eight rebounds.
He did the bulk of his damage on the offensive glass, scoring three of his five buckets off rebounds.

Trailing 68-63 with under a minute remaining, Carleton senior Tommy Drake buried his fourth triple of the evening to bring the Knights within two. Carleton was forced to foul and could not get a shot to fall on its final possession.

Rosett totalled 16 points for Carleton, and Drake added 15.

Seth Jonker ‘11 contributed seven points in the first half, providing an extra spark for Coach Guy Kalland’s squad.

Bethel’s Tim Madson totaled a game-best 22 points on 9-of-19 shooting, while Mike Moberg recorded a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds.

The Knights will be on the bye on Wednesday and return to the hardwood on Sat., February 9 for a women’s/men’s doubleheader against Saint Mary’s.