Knights force overtime but come up short

< tightly contested MIAC matchup, the Carleton College men’s basketball team came up short, falling 76-66 in overtime to Saint John’s University. The Knights’ Tommy Drake ‘08 had a team-high nine rebounds and matched his season high with 18 points, none bigger than his step-back three pointer to force overtime. He had 15 of his points after halftime and hit another triple late in the overtime period, giving Carleton a 66-65 lead with 0:41 left, but the Johnnies dropped in the game winner with three seconds remaining.

The Knights started the game hot and jumped out to a 13-2 advantage with 12:44 to go before intermission. Saint John’s battled back and knotted the score at halftime, 29-29.

Carleton came out of halftime cold, hitting only 1 of its first 13 shots from the field and trailed 50-37 with 10 minutes left. The Knights closed regulation on a 21-8 run with Drake three pointers starting and finishing the rally.

With Carleton trailing by three and the clock ticking down, Drake’s third triple of the night came with a Johnnie in his face and tied the game at 58-58. Drake then forced a turnover with two seconds left, but Carleton was unable to get off a shot before the clock ran out.

Saint John’s led by as many as four points in the overtime period, but Drake’s improbable three pointer from the left corner found its mark giving Carleton a one-point advantage with less than a minute remaining.

The Johnnies missed their first two shots on their next possession, but Carleton was unable to secure the rebound. Ryan Lieser, who had 13 points off the Saint John’s bench, drove to the hoop for the game-winning basket with three seconds left in the game.

Carleton got the ball down the court, but once again found itself unable to get a shot off before time expired.

Saint John’s Chris Schwartz led all scorers with 19 points, including five three-pointers. Brady Brink added a double-double (12 points, 10 rebounds) before fouling out.

Zach Johnson ‘09 matched Drake’s 18 points for Carleton. Bryan Rosett ‘10added 13 points and 8 rebounds. Carter Biewen ‘11 was the fourth Knight to reach double digits and tallied 11 points.
The Knights have another tough matchup on Saturday as they host the University of St. Thomas.
Carleton will dedicate its new West Gym scoreboards on Saturday in honor of former Carleton men’s basketball coach Jack Thurnblad and his wife, Jinny. Thurnblad coached the Knights from 1960-1984.