Men’s track and field hosts Carleton Open

<ack & field team hosted the Carleton Open on Friday evening. The meet included entrants from Carleton, St. Olaf, Minnesota State-Mankato and several unattached athletes. It was a very competitive meet with three races being decided by 0.01 second or less.

Among the individual winners for Carleton was Nick Cesarek ‘09 in the 55 meter dash. He also finished second in the 400 meter race, as his personal record time of 52.65 was only 0.01 second behind the victor. Cesarek also finished third in the long jump.

Tom Ballinger ‘09 took top honors in both the 500 meter race and the 55 meter hurdles. His time of 1:06.84 in the 500 meter was the second-fastest in school history.

The Knights were edged at the tape again in the mile run as Joe Sepe ‘08 posted a personal record time of 4:28.15, but was edged by St. Olaf’s Cullen O’Neill by 0.01 second.

Carleton’s lone win in the field events came in the pole vault. Evan Franco ‘10 cleared 12 feet, 8 3/4 inches, finishing first in back-to-back meets.

The 3000 meter run featured several solid runs by Carleton.

Charlie Gamble ‘10 and Quentin Kennedy ‘08 finished second and third, respectively. Gamble and Andy Jahn ‘10 recorded personal bests in the event. Thomas Brenner ‘09 also set a new personal standard, shaving an amazing 23 seconds off his time.

John Davis ‘11 turned in a solid performance in the event as well, crossing the line at 9:05.84 in his first attempt at the 3000 meter distance.

The Knights return to action on Sat., February 9 when they host the Meet of the Hearts at 11 a.m.