Men’s Soccer, the Fraternity, Part 1

Hear that dubstep music coming from Cowling, Dixon or Porch? Well, that’s probably because of the Men’s Soccer team, sorry less-cared-about Football team. This team works hard and parties even harder. This isn’t an expose of the team’s flaws, there are very few; rather, they are one of the unofficial-official fraternities on campus.

On the field, this team is one of the best in all of Carleton. With 9 straight MIAC playoff births, this team will contend for the MIAC championship this year and be a power for years to come. Watching Brandon McGarrity score goals, especially his second goal against Gustavus, is like watching Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel. It was absolutely brilliant, and if you call yourself a sports fan, watch the highlight on the Carleton athletic website. Or just go watch them play this Saturday at 1:00pm on Bell Field against Saint Mary’s. The last regular season game should be a great pre-Halloween event and could be their first step towards winning the MIAC.

Off the field, this team is a bunch of rowdy guys at the center of any party on campus. The soccer team is a moving fraternity in a supposed to be unassociated school with Greek life. There are no Greek letters anywhere on campus, but the soccer team is always the most calm, cool and collected of the guys on campus. See that guy wearing a North-Face jacket, Patagonia vest and Khakis? Yeah, that’s a member of the soccer team. The team is preppy and proud of it.

Is this a bad thing? No, Carleton does have fraternities and sororities; they are the major sports teams. Each has their individual quarks, rituals, maybe even light forms of hazing, but they are all similar to big institutions. Or, in the case of the Cross-Country team a skinny and awkward cult. However, the soccer team is not skinny or awkward, they are the best male sports team on campus. Due to this, they walk the campus as gods among mortals. However, they aren’t perfect and it’s my job to show that to you, just not today.

To be continued…