Carletonian Baseball Bracket Challenge

<lass="page layoutArea column" title="Page 1">

The leaves are falling, love is in the air, and playoff baseball is back on television. By the time this article hits the stands the Astros and Cubs have won their Wild Card Playoffs games and we are set for the division series. Each series is unique with story lines. Can the big and bad Cardinals reign supreme over the young upstart Cubs? Are the Dodgers for real or will they melt under the pres- sure? Can KC repeat as AL champs? Or will the high- powered Blue Jays offense continue their surge?

The playoffs are a time for uncertainty, drama that can make your hair stand on end. It’s anyone’s bet, but I’ll take a stab at some predictions.

In the division series the Cardinals will win in 4 against the Cubs. Despite all the injuries, the Cards have the playoff experience and will show the Cubs what they will be like in a couple years. The Dodgers will beat the Mets in 5 games, despite the Mets great pitching. KC is too dominant for the Astros and they’ll win in 3. Across the border, the Blue Jays will outslug Texas. In the Championship series the Cardinals will beat the Dodgers in 6, again to the demise of Kershaw, and KC beats the Blue Jays in 7, in a hard fought battle. In the Battle of I90, KC wins in 6. Kansas City finally wins its first World Series in 30 years, as St. Louis’ injuries finally become an issue.