Knights drop St. Olaf at Senior Day dual meet

On Senior Day for the Knights, the Carleton College women’s swimming and diving team vis- ited St. Olaf College for a competition. Seniors Alex Guy (Denver Colo./Denver School of the Arts), Alison Coogan (River Forest, Ill./ Oak Park-River Forest), and Emily Houlihan (Sr./Boulder, Colo./ Boulder) were recognized in a ceremony prior to the meet, which the Oles won by a 169-124 tally.

This was the final dual meet for the three seniors. Guy took second in the 50-yard freestyle, clocking a time of 25.84. She was fourth in the 100-yard freestyle at 56.66. Coogan placed third in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:17.78 and fourth in the 100-yard backstroke (1:04.53) and 200-yard IM (2:21.87). Houlihan swam two individual events, taking seventh in the 50-yard freestyle (27.62) and ninth in the 100-yard freestyle (59.82).

Sophomore standout Maria Wetzel (Salem, Ore./West Salem) was the star of the meet for the Knights, notching victories in three events for the second straight week. Wetzel captured a victory in the 100- yard backstroke, finishing at a time of 1:00.55. Wetzel later went on

to win the 200-yard backstroke, winning by nearly a margin of 10 seconds at 2:06.79. Wetzel’s third victory came in the 200-yard IM, taking first by almost eight seconds with a time of 2:12.69.

The Knights triumphed in the 200-yard freestyle relay, posting a time of 1:41.96.

Kat Nguyen (Fy./Palo Alto, Calif./Palo Alto) took second place in the 100-yard breaststroke, setting a new lifetime best of 1:13.95. Brittany Salazar (Jr./San Francisco, Calif./San Francisco Waldorf) smashed her lifetime best in the 500-yard freestyle, finishing at 5:30.30.

Lydia Henderson (Jr./Castro Valley, Calif./Castro Valley) finished second in the 1-meter diving with a score of 213.20. Amelia Roach (Fy./Bethesda, Md./Bethesda Chevy Chase) took third place in the event, finishing with a score of 211.90.

The Knights will travel to the University of Minnesota Aquatics Center in Minneapolis for the Minnesota Challenge on February 6-7. Racing begins at 6:00pm on Friday and continues with sessions at 11:00am and 6:00pm on Saturday. This is the final meet of the season for the Knights prior to the MIAC championships. That meet will be held on Feb. 19 to 22.