Knights’ Streak Comes to an End Against Cobbers

<lass="page layoutArea column" title="Page 7">

The Carleton College men’s basketball team saw it’s season-best three-game win streak halted with a 58-48 setback on the road against Concordia College. After holding a one-point lead at halftime, the Knights saw the Cobbers open the second stanza on a game-changing 21-6 run, a deficit that proved too much for Carleton to overcome.

“Certainly a disappointing loss tonight,” commented Carleton head coach Guy Kalland. “I thought we played relatively well in the first half, but we weren’t able to sustain our level of play in the final 20 minutes. We had too many poor turnovers and empty possessions in the second half.”

The Knights (7-8, 4-6 MIAC) shot 57 percent in the first half but maintained just a 26-25 advantage at intermission. The back-and-forth opening period ended with a long off-balance three pointer by Concordia’s Brandon Giese as the half expired. That basket provided a momentum boost to Concordia (9-6, 5-5 MIAC).

During their 21-6 run to start the second half, the Cobbers did not turn the ball over and converted 9-of-12 shots, including a pair of three pointers. At one point Concordia rattled off 13 consecutive points, blowing open what had once been a one-point contest. Carleton, meanwhile, was 3-of-6 from the field but committed five turnovers during that stretch.

The Knights later trailed, 50-36, with 9:10 remaining before the defense clamped down, limiting Concordia to only a 1-for-12 shooting line the rest of the way. Unfortunately, Carleton was unable to take advantage at the offensive end, going 3-of-8 from the field and 6-of-11 at the free-throw line, including misses on the front end of two 1-and-1 opportunities at the charity stripe.

Carleton closed to within 54-48 with 27 seconds remaining before the Cobbers made four free throws to seal the win.

Shane McSparron (Sr./Apple Valley, Minn./Eastview) collected a team-best 15 points for Carleton, with Kevin Grow (Fy./ Circle Pines, Minn./Centennial) added seven points to go along with his game highs of 10 rebounds and three blocks.

Jordan Bolger, the reigning conference player of the week, led Concordia with 18 points. Brandon Giese chipped in 12 points and Brady Syverson added 11 for the home team.

Carleton will look to bounce back in the conclusion of a three-game road trip when the Knights visit Macalester College on Saturday, Jan. 24 for a women’s-men’s double-header.

The opening game starts at 1 p.m. with the men’s contest slated for a 3 p.m. tipoff against a Macalester team that has struggled in MIAC play. Live audio of both games can be heard worldwide via Knights Online as well as via KDHL 920AM in the Northfield/ Faribault area.