Seven Knights Earn All-MIAC Honors

< their third consecutive conference playoff championship, seven members of the Carleton College women’s tennis team earned a total of eight All-MIAC honors for the 2014 season. Katherine Greenberg ‘14, Molly Hemes ‘14, and Claire Spencer ‘16 picked up the award for their singles performances, while senior Anne Lombardi and sophomores Grace Davis and Joyce Yu were recognized for their doubles play. Sophomore Mikayla Becich doubled up, earning the honor her work in both singles and doubles.

Lombardi and Yu team up to go 7-2 in conference play this season at first doubles. This is the first time that Yu earned All-MIAC recognition, while it is the fourth straight season that Lombardi earned All-MIAC honors in doubles to go along with her All-MIAC awards for singles from each of her first three seasons.

After concluding her season with a 7-1 conference record, Hemes will have earned All-MIAC distinction three times in singles and once in doubles. Greenberg’s undefeated 9-0 record against conference opponents in 2014 earned her singles honors to go along with the distinction in doubles she received her sophomore season.

The sophomore trio of Becich, Davis, and Spencer repeated their awards from the previous season as Becich notched an undefeated 7-0 conference record in singles along with Spencer’s 8-2 record to earn honors in singles. Becich and Davis combined to accumulate a 7-1 record against conference opponents, earning them a spot on the All-MIAC doubles team.

As part of a conference-wide sportsmanship initiative, the conference also announced the annual All-MIAC Sportsmanship team for tennis. Members of the sportsmanship team are selected by their coaches and teammates as individuals who demonstrate ideals of positive sportsmanship both on and off the field of competition. Hemes represented Carleton on this squad.