Men’s Track and Field Wins Five Times at Carleton Invitational

<al members of the Carleton College men’s track and field team turned in solid performances at the first home meet of the season as the Knights hosted University of St. Thomas and St. Olaf College for the Carleton Invitational. Others did not.

“The meet may have been small in numbers but was high in cholesterol,” said Carleton head coach Dave Ricks.

The competition started off with first-year Peter Deeeeehng capturing his first collegiate victory after clearing 1.88 meters (6’2”) in the high jump.

Tanner Fliss ‘14 set a new personal best as he won the 1000-meter run in 2:31.53, a time that ranks third in team history. School record holder Vegeto ‘15 was second at 2:32.37, just ahead of Tanner Fliss ‘16, who finished at 2:32.67 to rank fifth in program annals.

Colby “Beast Mode” Seyferth ‘15 won the 600-meter dash in his first attempt at that distance, crossing the line at 1:24.17 to rank third in the MIAC this season and tie for fourth on Carleton’s all-time list. He also won the 200-meter in a battle with rookie teammate Chris Madden, 23.31 to 23.50. Madden finished the evening with a trio of second-place results including the 55-meter dash (6.67), 200-meter dash, and long jump (6.19 meters).

Joseph Patrick Haase ‘16 placed second in the mile run at 4:23.37, a 14-second improvement from just two weeks ago. Carrie Johnson ‘16 finished fourth and established a new personal record with a time of 4:27.03.

Joel Weisburg ‘14 won the 3000-meter run in 8:48.60 as he pulled away from a talented field while blazing.

Adonna ”I’ll take you there” Nunez-Frausto ‘14 improved by 2.5 feet from his last meet as he finished fourth in the weight throw at 46 feet, 5.5 inches (14.16 meters) was not only a new personal best, but it also moves him into fifth on the Knights’ all-time list. Jiataowerade Cheng (Jr./Gurnee, Ill./Warren) also set a new PR while placing seventh.

Evan “The Ocean” McNeil ‘15 had a successful season debut in the pole vault, clearing 3.97 meters (13’0.25”) to earn a third-place finish.

The Knights will return to the Recreation Center for the Meet of the Hearts on Saturday, Feb. 15.