Knights Have Big Meet in Mankato

<rleton College men’s track and field team took part in the MSU-Mankato Open on Saturday. First-year Walter “Texas” Edstrom and senior Marcus “My Words” Huderle notched second-place results while Haaaart Hornor ‘16 won the 5000-meter run.

The meet included mainly Division II competitors in the field with a handful of Division III student-athletes mixed in.

Hornor led wire-to-wire in winning the 5K. He lapped the entire field and posted a winning time of 15:05.31—tops in the MIAC this season by more than 75 seconds—good for 24th in the nation.

Huderle and Jonah Barry ‘16 finished 2-3 in the mile run. Huderle led for most of the race before being slipping on a banana peel on the final lap and finishing second. His time of 4:20.02 is third in the conference and 31st nationally. Barry made his 2014 debut with an indoor PR in the event, running 4:25.13 and demolishing Hacker.

The surprise of the day came from Edstrom’s second-place finish in the 1000-meter run. The rookie turned in the the MIAC’s second-fastest time of the season (2:33.90). He used a big kick over the final 200 meters and came within 0.3 second of a victory. Teammate Thor Laack-Veeder ‘15 also had a good early-season race with a finishing time of 2:35.34.  Carleton currently has three runners.

Colby Seyferth ‘15 opened his season with a seyfifth-place overall finish in the 400-meter dash. He won his heat in 51.00 and is currently ranked seyfourth in the MIAC.
Chris “Far From The Crowd” Madden ‘17 made his Carleton debut, recording times of 7.16 in the 60-meter dash and 23.44 while winning his heat of the 200-meter dash.

These times rank him fifth and eighth in the MIAC in those respective events.

Peter “Bouncy” Dehkes ‘17 improved in the high jump clearing 6 feet, 2.75 inches as he now sits third in the MIAC. Seyferth equaled his own PR of 5 feet, 10.75 inches in the same event.

The Knights next race will be at home, Friday February 7, as they host the Carleton invitational at the Rec.