Men’s Swimming and Diving Celebrates Senior Day

<rleton College men’s swimming and diving team faced off against cross-town St. Olaf College as the Knights celebrated Senior Day at Thorpe Pool.
The event marked the final home meet in the careers of the 14 seniors on Carleton’s rosters, including five members of the men’s team: Ross Brown, Adrian Carpenter, Christian Edwards, Jesse Gourevitch, Benito Ramirez.

“We couldn’t be more impressed and proud of what this class has become and of what they’ve accomplished in the time we have had them at Carleton,” said head coach Andy Clark. “Their final dual meet of the season ended in the best kind of way—competing at home against your cross-town rival in front of a supportive crowd consisting of parents, families and friends.”

That the Oles prevailed by a 196-95 score was purely a side note on this day.

Alex Mathson ‘17 aided the Knights’ efforts early on with a second-place finish in the 1000 yard freestyle with a time of 10:06.35. Ramirez then placed second in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:50.37. Mathson would later take second in the 500-yard freestyle in 4:52.92.

Meanwhile, Gourevitch, Aaron Schwab ‘17, and Jonathan Brodie ‘16 went two-three-four on the 100-yard backstroke, touching with times of 55.30, 55.70, and 55.83, respectively. Schwab also performed well in the 200-yard backstroke, taking second with a time of 2:03.86.

Wilson Josephson ‘16 triumphed in the 200-yard butterfly, taking first with a time of 2:02.58. Shortly afterwards, Evan Lahr ‘17, Ramirez, Stephen Grinich ‘16, and George McAneny ‘16 swept the second through fifth spots in the 100-yard butterfly.

Later, Evan Harris ‘15 took second in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 2:00.93.

The Knights concluded the afternoon with a second-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Grinich, Lahr, Josephson, and McAneny combined on a time of 1:27.28.
Eli Danson ‘15 was recognized as the “Can of Corn” recipient for his outstanding consistency and efforts in his 100- and 200-yard butterfly events.

“The goal at this time of year is to build momentum,” said Clark, “and this was an outstanding display of intensity and effort today. Across the teams we had a number of season-best marks achieved, which is a testament to the fortitude of both teams, especially given the fact we are still training with good intensity. Our teams are in a great place going into the tapering phase, and we expect to see many more exciting performances in the coming weeks.”

The Knights will next compete at the Conference Invite held at University of St. Thomas on Friday, Jan. 31 through Saturday, Feb. 1