Campbell, Johnson Lead Women’s Track and Field at Norse Relays

< Campbell ‘16 won the long jump by a wide margin and Avery Johnson ‘15 won the javelin with her final attempt as the Carleton College women’s track and field team took fourth at the Norse Relays with 71 points, only five behind conference foe Hamline University.

Campbell passed on her final three jumps and still won the competition by more than six inches with a distance of 5.20 meters, which ranks fourth all-time at Carleton. She also took second in the 100-meter hurdles in a season-best time of 15.71—eighth in Carleton history—and ran well on a pair of relays.
Johnson was leading the javelin, only to watch Leah Broderick of host Luther College move past her during the second-to-last round. On their final attempts, Broderick fouled, and Johnson unleashed a career-best toss of 36.78 meters to win the competition and ranked fifth all-time at Carleton.

Junior Kao Sutton was the other highlight of the field events, throwing a career-best of 41.39 meters in the hammer throw and finishing eighth overall.

Emma Russ ‘16 ran a season-best of 1:07.18 in the 400-meter hurdles, placing third as Carleton’s only participant in that event.

The Knights competed strongly in the relay events, taking second in the 4×200, 4×800, and 4×1600 relays as well as a third-place result in the 4×400 relay. The comparatively young 4×200 team—including Campbell and Reilly Simon ‘16, Kayla McKinsey ‘16, and Ellie Wilson ‘15—recorded a time of 1:50.72, second-fastest in team history. The 4×400 team, including Simon, Russ, Wilson and Anna Cich ‘16, placed third with a time of 4:10.34.

Steinke, Sarah Trautman ‘13, Haley Johnson ‘14, Colette Celichowski ‘15 doubled up in the 4×800 and 4×1600 relays. The quartet posted the second-fastest time on the Carleton record books in the shorter of those two races at 9:26.69 and took second in the 4×1600 in 21:23.05, third-fastest record time in Knights’ history.

The Knights will host the Carleton Relays at Laird Stadium on Saturday, April 20.