Stienstra’s Shooting Leads Knights to Emphatic Victory Over Wildcats

<od things come in threes. The Knights certainly felt that way in a record-setting performance.

Led by first-year Gabbi Stienstra’s career-high 19 points—including five baskets from beyond the arc—a total of 10 different players scored for the Carleton College women’s basketball team as the Knights dominated visiting St. Catherine University, 82-49. While the point total was a season high, the biggest damage was done from downtown.

Steinstra, Skylar Tsutsui ’15, Michele Arima ‘16, and Jessica Huang ‘16 combined to make 13 three-point field goals in the contest, surpassing a program record that had stood since the Knights sank 11 against St. Olaf on Feb. 16, 2002. Carleton’s went 13-of-22 from long range, a 59.1 percent conversion rate, which is the seventh-highest in team history. The Knights assault on the history book also included a season-best 24 assists, tying for the ninth-most in program annals.

“I am really proud of tonight’s effort and teamwork,” said head coach Cassie Kosiba after the game. “We moved the ball around well with great poise and confidence.” Tonight marked the end of the first half of the conference schedule, and the Knights have already surpassed last season’s win total.

After St. Catherine (1-13, 0-11 MIAC) built a 17-14 lead midway through the first half, Jenny Ramey’s ‘14 bucket in the paint sparked Carleton (4-10, 4-7 MIAC) on a game-changing 25-3 run, with the
offensive explosion allowing the Knights to carry a comfortable 39-20 advantage into intermission. Steinstra scored eight points during that spurt.

The Knights squelched any thoughts the Wildcats had of staging a comeback by draining eight more triples in the second half.

Steinstra scored her 19 points in only 25 minutes of action and finished 5-of-6 from the outside, tying the mark for fourth-most triples by a Knight in a single game. Her productive all-around game, included five rebounds, four assists, and four steals. Tsutsui matched her season high with 16 points, including a 4-of-6 showing from beyond the arc.

Cassie Mullen ‘13 had a career night off the bench with collegiate bests in points (6) and rebounds (6). Classmate Megan Bakken added season highs in both categories.

The Wildcats were lead by a career-high 18-point performance from Kristen Lee. Sarina Baker also contributed 13.

“We’ve been fortunate to have played at home the last couple week,” said Kosiba, “but will now have to prove ourselves on the road.”

Carleton carries a two-game win streak into Saturday’s upcoming contest at Hamline University as part of a double-header with the men’s team on Saturday, Jan. 19. Tip-off for the early game is scheduled for 1 p.m.