Women’s team seeks to continue streak of top three finishes

<rleton College women’s swimming and diving team has finished in the top three at the MIAC Championships every year since 1995. Several Knights will need to perform at a top level for that streak to continue.

Molly Spence ‘13 earned All-MIAC distinction after finishing second in the 1,650-yard freestyle last year and has the second-fastest time in the conference this season. She earned all-conference honors two years ago in the 500-yard freestyle.

Carleton will look for points from senior Annie Metcalf, who is seeded second in both the 100- and 200-yard backstroke and owns the sixth-best time in the 400-yard individual medley.

Sophie Pilhofer ‘13 holds the second-fastest time in the conference this year in the 50-yard freestyle and finished just short of All-MIAC honors with a fourth-place result last year. She is ranked fourth in the 100-yard butterfly and sixth in 100-yard freestyle.

With a breakout performance at the Minnesota Challenge meet, Erin McDuffie ‘13 holds the MIAC’s third-best time in the 50-yard freestyle and is now ranked fourth in the conference for both the 100- and 200-yard freestyle races. Milana Socha ‘14 is now listed among the conference leaders in the three shortest freestyle races.

The team will look to score big points in the freestyle relays once again as the Knights hold this season’s second-best times at the 200-, 400-, and 800-yard distances. Pilhofer, McDuffie, and Socha earned All-MIAC honors last season as part of the third-place 200 free relay. The longest relay race saw Spence, McDuffie, and Socha help Carleton to another third-place result.

This year, Maggie Alexander ‘12 will round out the lineup for all three freestyle relays. She ranks among the top 10 times in five individual events: 200 and 500 free, 100 and 200 backstroke, and 100 butterfly.
Diver Austen Chase ‘12 scored on both boards at last year’s conference championship.