Men’s Swimming handed road defeat

<nd Diving Team managed to win six events, but ultimately faced a loss (186-112) at the hands of Gustavus Adolphus on January 7th. 

The team featured several great swimmers, including Eric Klontz ’13, who had two victories in the 50-yard freestyle as well as the 100-yard freestlye. His victory in the 50 tied the pool record in addition to earning him the win.

Klontz went on to be named the MIAC Men’s Swimming and Diving athlete of the week. In addition to performing well at the meet itself, he managed to post an NCAA “B” qualifying standard for his efforts. Klontz currently holds the top time in the MIAC for the 50- and 100-yard freestyle.

Mamoru Kanazawa ’13,  another impressive performer over the weekend, was Carleton’s other double victor, winning the 100-yard backstroke and the 500-yard freestyle.

Djem Kissiov ’12 also finished first in 100-yard backstroke. Klontz, Kanazawa, and Kissiov joined with Benito Ramirez ’14 to win the 200-yard medley. Evan Harris ’15 placed second in the 1000-freestyle.

In diving, Chris Frills ‘13 finished third in both boards. Other great performances came from Ross Brown ’14 in the 200-freestyle and Eli Danson ’15 in the 100-freestyle—both of which were swimming personal bests.

Despite not having raced in nearly four weeks, “The teams brought a great sense of energy and determination to the meet,” said Carleton head coach Andy Clark. “At this point in the season, one of the primary directives that we have for our athletes is to find ways to be better, and today we had some breakout performances and outstanding competitive races.”

Clark went on to say, “We certainly have room for improvement,” said Clark, “and we will see in the month that lies ahead. With more competitions and event-specific training coming in the next few weeks, I am excited to see both teams build upon the momentum that they established today.”

The Knights face off against Macalester College and St. John’s University on January 14th.