Volleyball season ends with tough loss

<ced two tough losses at the close of their season. Their first loss came on Oct. 26 at home against St. Mary’s University. On their senior night, the Carleton women’s volleyball team played a close game that the score, a 3-1 St. Mary’s victory, didn’t reflect.

The women’s squad was in the lead with a score of 21-16 before seeing the St. Mary’s Cardinals score five points in a row; the Knights had two set points but were unable to close the set and the Cardinals took the first set with 28-26.  
The second set was a complete blowout by the Carleton Knights as they took it 25-15. In the third set, the Cardinals took the early lead before the Knights took a 6-0 streak to recover the lead. This set was the closest set of the game as the Cardinals and Knights were tied ten different times and there were six different lead changes.

However, yet again, Carleton was unable to close the set and St. Mary’s took the set 26-24. The fourth set was very similar to the third set but a late service error from Carleton allowed the St. Mary’s to take the set, 26-24, and the match.  

Sarah Nielsen ’14 and Karen Halls ’15 each had ten kills on top of 17 kills from Jessa Youso ’13 and Claire Willeck ’15. Alicia Flatt ’15 had a record high of 50 sets and Erin Anderson ’12 reached 17 digs.

The Knights finished their season 13-12 with a 0-3 loss to St. Olaf. The Oles lead the first set 10-2 which helped them achieve their 25-14 set win. The second set was much closer including eight ties and seven lead changes, the Knights had the serve at 22-22, but one of their numerous service errors allowed the Oles to capture the set 25-23.

St. Olaf cruised to an early lead of 18-6 and accordingly took the set and match victory with a 25-12. Karen Halls ’15 had the team high of five kills. Claire Willeck ’15 also helped the team with four kills.