Carleton Football endures another hard loss

<r the second time in three weeks, a Carleton player picked up MIAC Special Teams Player-of-the-week honors; unfortunately, it did little to help the Knights as they fell to 1-4 on the season.

Jordan Soteros ‘14, who leads the MIAC in both punt and kick return average, fielded a kickoff at the Carleton eight in the third quarter and returned it 92 yards for a touchdown. The return was the longest for the Knights since a 93-yard runback in 2006 against Minnesota-Morris. Aside from that play, the Knights were inept on offense.

Carleton’s turnover woes continued on Saturday as the offense turned the ball over four times, including three in the red zone. Starting QB Mike Hartwell ’13 struggled again, throwing two interceptions on only five passing attempts.

He was replaced later in the game by QB Conor Lynch ‘14, but Lynch fared little better, managing 51 yards on four of seven passing with one interception. The Knights need to find a solution to their QB problems if they hope to turn this season around.

The Knights’ cause on offense wasn’t helped by the depletion of their backfield due to injuries. WR C.J. James ‘14 and LB Andy Zweber ‘13 were forced into action as Carleton’s starting backs.

Zweber fared surprisingly well in his new role, picking up 30 yards on three receptions to lead the team. Carleton’s normal backfield, made up of RB’s John Baker ‘14 and Jon Lien ‘12, entered the game late in the 1st quarter with little effect. The Knights were held to a season-low rushing total of just 31 yards.

Much like last week, the Knights were gashed by the opponent’s rushing attack on defense. Led by FB Brett Baune, Concordia picked up 256 yards total on the ground. Baune picked up 103 yards and three TD’s on the day.

On the bright side, Carleton’s special teams continued to thrive on Saturday. In addition to Soteros’ TD return, the Knights were able to block a Concordia field goal and force two errant extra-point tries. Paul Hoffer ‘13 had an excellent day, picking up the blocked field goal and leading the Knights with ten tackles.

Next week the Knights play cross-town rivals St. Olaf in a battle for the Goat Trophy. The game kicks off at 1pm at St. Olaf’s Manitou Field.