Women’s Volleybal: Carls win one, lose one

<turday, the Carleton volleyball team had a win and a loss at their home tournament to make their record 11-7 overall which puts their wins past that of last year’s season.

The team started off the day with a loss against Buena Vista University. In a four set game, the girls lost 3-1. Jessa Youso ‘13 and Rachel Johnson ’14 both played well, reaching into the double digits in number of kills, but Carleton was unable to shake Buena Vista.

This is the third time the Knights have played Buena Vista, and it is the first time they have lost. The Beavers gained control in the first set with a 7-0 lead and never let the Knights catch back up, taking the set at 25-15.

The second set was close in the early stages, but again the Beavers blazed ahead to win 25-23. The Carleton team started behind in the third set before a set of three service aces from Sarah Nielson ’14 allowed the Knights to take the game at 25-22.  The Buena Vista squad took the final set 25-17. Alicia Flatt ’15 had 38 assists to help the Knights in that match.

In their evening match, the Knights beat out the University of Wisconsin-Stout in a five set victory, 3-2.  The Carleton women’s squad took control of the first set with an 11-4 lead and held on to snag the match at 25-18. The UW-Stout women fought back taking the second set 25-17 and the third set 25-21.

The fourth set had the audience at the edge of their seat; the Stout squad set up the set with a 23-20 lead, and then the Knights fought back. Youso and Nielsen had three blocks in a row, and then Youso won the match with a kill. 

The women’s squad fought hard for the fifth set. They were winning 7-3 when UW-Stout pulled ahead with six consecutive points. The Knights returned the fight with four points, including three kills in a row from Claire Willeck ’15, to grab the set with a score of 15-11.

The girls play again this Wednesday against Macalester College.