Volleyball looks to regroup after loss to Bethel

<rleton Volleyball team fell to the Bethel University Royals last Friday night in a three-set match, marking their second conference loss and bringing the Knights to a 10-5 overall record, with a 1-2 record in MIAC play.

The Knights faced a tough foe in the Royals, who started out ranked sixth in the conference, but quickly moved up after defeating the previously nationally-ranked St. Olaf and Concordia Colleges.
Bethel took an early lead, paced by Amy Werner, who led the match with 16 kills. In the first set, Bethel took an early 12-4 lead, eventually yielding a 25-14 victory. In the second set, the Royals had an 8-0 streak that eventually led to a 25-17 victory. The final match ended in a 25-10 score, with Bethel emerging victorious again.

Throughout the night, Bethel did not allow Carleton to score more than 17 points in a single set, and posted a .306 attack percentage compared to Carleton’s .090. With the win, Bethel is now 11-4 overall, and leads the MIAC with a 3-0 record.

For Carleton, middle hitter Jessa Youso ’13 and right hitter Sarah Nielson ’13 both contributed seven kills each and outside hitter Sami Kemper ’14 adding a season-high six kills. Captain Erin Anderson ’12 had match-high 16 digs, while setter Alicia Flatt ’15 tallied 20 assists and 12 digs.

Despite the setback, the volleyball team has had a solid beginning to their season. The Knights already have ten victories, matching their season total from all of 2010, and defeated St. Catherine’s University in their first MIAC match of the season before falling to St. Thomas. They next face Gustavus Adolphus College this Wednesday at 7 pm, and play Buena Vista University this Saturday at 10 am at West Gymnasium.