Fiesty, timely overtime goal lifts Men’s Soccer

<rleton Men’s Soccer team kicked off their quest to reclaim the MIAC championship with a hard fought 2-1 overtime win against St. John’s University last Saturday at Bell Field.

Although Carleton had the majority of goal scoring chances in the first half, St. John’s shocked the Knights and took the lead in the 27th minute. Michael Coborn ‘14 combined well with forward Simon Plata ‘14 following a quick free kick and managed to sneak his left-footed shot underneath Carleton goalie James Neher ‘14. The goal, in addition to some errant passing and the Johnnies’ phsyical style of play, marked a frustrating and somewhat lackluster first half performance for the Knights.

The beginning of the second half, however, saw a reinvigorated home side put the Johnnies under immense pressure, as the forward trio of Tim Wills ’12, Miles “Seabiscuit” Silbert ’12, and Ryan Cammarota ’12 led the Knights’ attack and kept the Johnnie defense on their heels. Despite the increasing physicality of the game,  the Knights continued to attack. This improved performance was finally rewarded in the 59th minute, as Silbert found an open Will Corcoran ‘14, who blasted his shot past the St. John’s goalkeeper to tie the game. The goal was Corcoran’s second of the season.

The rough play continued on both sides throughout the second half, with four yellow cards handed out to the Johnnies, and two to the Knights. The aggression culminated in the 85th minute, when St. John’s defender Austin Parker was given a red card for obstructing a Knights’ free kick, forcing the Johnnies to finish the match with only ten men.

In spite of the one-man advantage, Carleton was unable to find the net during the rest of regulation. However, a minute into the overtime period, the persistence in the attacking third paid off as Cammarota played a through ball past a disorganized St. John’s defense to a streaking Silbert, who smashed his shot towards the near post to give Carleton its second win of the season, and its first MIAC victory.
The Knights continue their season on Wednesday with a non-conference game away to Luther College, with MIAC play continuing on Saturday away to Concordia College, the fourth seed in last year’s MIAC playoffs.