Men set bests at Mac and St. Mary’s

<st Saturday the Carleton men’s track and field team competed at the Saint Mary’s Open in Winona. Jacob Hoerger ’14 led off the meet by winning the 10,000 meters in 34:20. Marcus Huderle ’14 dropped 25 seconds from his personal best to run 9:34 in the 3000 meter steeplechase. Huderle outsprinted a UW-Eau Claire runner to finish second in the race, in the process establishing a new Carleton rookie record in the event. Brian Spisiak ’13 also impressed, running his first steeplechase in 9:55, which was good enough for fourth place. Josh Campbell ’13 ran his first steeplechase in 10:34.

Ty Martin ‘11 easily won the 110 meter hurdles in 15.03 seconds, while Adrian Carpenter ‘14 took seventh in 16.10. Martin currently has the fastest time in the MIAC in the 110 meter hurdles and the third-fastest time in the 400 meter hurdles. Dylans Cheever ‘13 and Bothun ’11 both bettered their season bests in the event. In the 100 meters, Martin was the Knights’ top finisher at 11.53 seconds. Jordan Butler ’13, James Morrissey ’12, and Jameson Siegert ’11 all ran season bests in the event.

In the 1500 meters, Colin Sinclair ’11 turned up the intensity over the last 700 meters to nearly match his personal best, running 4:13. Matt Harrison ’13, Michael Tolan ’14, Michael Knudson ’11, and Andy Hardt ’13 endured a crowded field and moved up late to finish in 4:30, 4:32, 4:32, 4:33, respectively. The 1500 meter crew enjoyed a post-race cool down to the top of a nearby bluff where they loudly (but pointlessly) cheered on runners in the 400 meters who looked like specks down below. One of those specks was Nick Herringer ‘14, who ran a season best 53.06 seconds to finish sixth.

The 800 meters brought with it a rain shower and strong winds. “Utility man” Cheever found the wind no obstacle as he negative split the race to run 2:03. Cheever has contested every individual event this outdoor season except the 5000, 10,000, and hammer throw. Kian Flynn ’12 went out hard in the 800 meters, but still found himself gapped by an overeager group of competitors. Flynn ran an honest race to finish in a personal best 2:05. Famous Johnson ’12 drafted off Phil Juda ’13 until the final 100 meters of the race before outsprinting his literally winded teammate to the line. Both Carls finished in 2:10.

Carpenter took fourth in the 400 meter hurdles in 1:00.68. By time the 200 meters rolled around the wind had nearly disappeared and C.J. Dale ’13 edged Morrissey by 0.03 seconds. Morrissey’s time, 23.81 seconds, was a season best.

A wet and often windy day hampered performaces in the field events. Butler threw the javelin 35.99 meters and Bothun nearly matched Butler’s mark, throwing 35.83 meters.

A week ago, Thursday, three Carls competed at the Macalester Twilight in St. Paul. Martin placed fourth in the 400 meter hurdles in 55.82 seconds. Racing a day before he left town to attend his Aunt Blossom’s 90th birthday party, Aaron Hirsh ‘13 galloped to a time of 4:17 in the 1500 meters. Ben Parks ’11, who decided to spend his midterm break looking at rocks in Wisconsin, made the most of his chance to race Thursday, running a personal best 4:33 in the 1500 meters.

Next week’s article will cover last Tuesday’s Rolex Classic, Thursday and Friday’s MIAC Decathlon at St. Olaf, and Saturday’s Meet of the Unsaintly. Dale and Cheever will represent Carleton at the MIAC Decathlon. A week from today the Knights will head to windy St. Peter to take part in the two-day MIAC Championships.

Colin Sinclair is a member of the men’s track team.