Softball ends up-and-down year

<rleton softball team finished their 2011 season this week. On Monday, the Knights split with Bethel University in their last doubleheader on Bell Field. After losing the opener 8-4, the Knights rebounded in Game 2 to notch a come-from-behind 9-7 victory.  In a pair of impressive offensive performances, Katrina Harper ’14 and Chelsea Yost ’13 each had three hits in the second game. In her last at-bat on Bell field, Alex Schefter ’11 delivered a hot RBI single.

“It felt great to get one more win for the season,” said Schefter. “We hit hard today and we came out on top.”

On Tuesday, the Knights travelled to Winona to take on a strong Saint Mary’s University squad. In Game 1, the Knights kept the Cardinals to two runs through the second inning. The third inning was a different story, with Saint Mary’s notching eight hits and scoring nine runs. The Knight’s offensive battle wasn’t enough. Ramey and Yost both hit long homers to get the Knights on the board, but the Cardinals kept the rest of the bats quiet.

Ultimately, the Knights were unable to contain the powerful Cardinals who pounded out 15 hits in the first game complete with two home runs. In Game 2, the Knights scored first on a Kelsey Parsons ‘13 single to left. The Cardinals responded by putting five runs on the board in the first inning, followed by another five runs in the fourth. 
SMU’s victories secured them the No. 3 seed in the MIAC playoffs this weekend held at the University of St. Thomas and Bethel. The Cardinals will be joined in the MIAC playoffs by No. 1 seed St. Thomas, No. 2 seed Gustavus Adolphus College, and No. 4 seed Hamline University.

The Knights went 11-27 overall this season, their highest win total since 2006.  Next spring, the team will be joined by several hard-working first-years and will continue to improve the program’s record. The Knights look forward to giving a stellar opening season performance on their new field behind the Rec Center. The new softball field should be ready for practice in the coming fall.

Dana Mackey is a member of the softball team.