Women’s hoops plays spoiler, gets back on track by beating Mac

<ed their five-game losing streak this week, defeating the Macalester Scots on Wednesday, 66-65. They were unsuccessful against their previous two opponents, losing to Saint Mary’s on Saturday and Bethel on Monday, but cut the point-deficit in each game from the first time they played the teams.

In the first meeting with Macalester, the Knights lost 61-46. Carleton started off leading the game on Wednesday, however, and never gave it up. The Knights had a comfortable point spread for most of the game, but Macalester made a late comeback, hitting three 3-pointers and putting them within one point of the Knights.

Ally Weaver ’11 led the Knights with 20 points, Akemi Arzouman ’13 added 18, and Jenny Ramey ‘14 had eight points and 11 assists, breaking the record for single-season assists by a rookie. 

Weaver had two key free throws with 20 seconds left, providing the Knights with the extra one-point buffer. Carleton led 32-23 at the end of the first half, with a season-low four turnovers. In the second half, the Scots fought back, winning the half, 42-34, but they were unable to overturn the first half-spread. The Knights shot 39.3 percent from the field, and an impressive 40 percent from behind the arc.

The Knights stopped the Scots from grabbing the last playoff spot with the win. Macalester now must rely on a victory on Saturday, as well as a victory from Concordia over Hamline, to clinch the spot.

In Monday’s game against Bethel, the Knights were unable to come back from a 13-0 Royal run in the second half, losing 74-60. Arzouman tallied 19 points and seven rebounds and Emma Purfeerst ’14 had 15 points.
Despite a lead for most of the first half, the Knights were unable to contain the Royals after the break. Carleton only committed 12 turnovers for the game, but Bethel out-rebounded the Knights, in addition to having higher shooting percentages from the field, behind the arc, and at the free-throw line.  Bethel also committed two fewer turnovers, and had four more assists. Eleven offensive rebounds gave the Royals many second chance opportunities.    

In a road match against St. Mary’s on Saturday, the Knights were defeated, 72-60.  Arzouman led the way with 17 points, Weaver added 14, and Jessa Youso ’13 and Purfeerst had 9 points and 6 rebounds and 8 points and 9 rebounds, respectively. The Knights were unable to stop a 15-5 run that spanned a five-minute period, ending the first half with a deficit of 41-28. In the second-half, the Knights were unable to break the double-digit SMU lead. A key component to the game was 16 Carleton turnovers, and the Cardinals out-rebounding the Knights, 42-34.

The Knights finish the season with the first half of a double-header on Saturday against St. Olaf. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. at West Gym.

Kat Walton is a member of the women’s basketball team.