New SWA program on its way

<re pleased to announce several changes to the Student Wellness Advisor Program which will go into effect beginning in the 2011-2012 academic year.

1.    A Shift in Philosophy
•    The name of the program will change from Student Wellness Advisors to Student Wellness Advocates. This change in language reflects our desire to focus our efforts on educational programming, large-scale information campaigns, and efforts that will make Carleton a healthier place for all students. SWAs will still be available for  individual advising, serving as resources for students and liaisons to the Wellness Center, but this is no longer our primary focus.

2.    Structural Changes – The program will no longer be residentially based.
•    Programming efforts will target all students, not just students housed in first year halls. Students, including Peer Leaders, may request SWA programs for members of their community. SWAs will provide a menu of programs covering a range of topics and will also work with students to develop programs that meet their needs.
•    SWAs will have an opportunity to participate in Off-Campus Studies programs.
•    SWAs will hold regular office hours in the Wellness Center.
•    SWA stalls will move to public spaces that are utilized by all students on campus.

We believe that these changes will make the SWA program more effective, and in turn, will make Carleton a healthier place. Educational efforts will address drug and alcohol use, physical health including nutrition, exercise and sleep, sexual health, stress management and resilience. Our overall goal is to help Carls develop skills and gain knowledge that will lead them to make healthy choices at Carleton and beyond.

The program is still evolving and we expect there to be additional changes before the  2011-12 academic year. As we receive feedback and reflect on the future of the program, we welcome additional suggestions from the student body. Please email Chloe Coenen at ccoenen with comments and questions.