Where are they now?

<ong>Name: Nicole Vikan
Year you graduated: 1998
Major: American Studies

What you are currently doing:
Public Interest Career Counselor, Georgetown Law Center; Career and Admissions Consulting, Ivey Consulting

How I give back/stay engaged with Carleton:

Reunion planning, admissions volunteer, Career Center Alumni Board member, Alumni Annual Fund, past Co-Chair of DC Alumni Club

Activities you were involved in at Carleton:

New Student Week Leader, RA, Write Place tutor, ice hockey, figure skating instructor, Wellstone volunteer, Girl Scout Troop Leader

Favorite Carleton Tradition/Event (Rotblatt, Halloween concert, etc.): Hmm—I like the informal and untraditional nature of Carleton! ☺

The Carleton Experience:
The crazy protests when Charles Murray was invited to speak on campus. I accidentally attended a violent anarchist group meeting in the Twin Cities. . . .DEFINITELY a surprise!

Looking back, what is the single most influential/greatest/useful lesson/thing you learned at Carleton? 

Think independently and be nice to everyone—sorry; that’s two things!

What was your major and how does it relate to where you are now?

I focused on urban studies and went directly to NYU Law, after which I became a criminal prosecutor in Manhattan to contribute to making the city as safe and as pleasant as possible.

Now that you are an experienced alumnus, what’s one thing you might have done differently during your college life to aid you towards achieving your greater goals?
I would have explored a wider variety of options and tried teaching—I had some interviews for teaching jobs but picked law school instead. But no regrets—I have loved each one of my (three) jobs!

What was the best part/worst part about the year after you left Carleton? 
I have become closer to more Carls over the past years! I just celebrated my wedding with an awesome Carleton crew in attendance—we sang the alma mater while drinking champagne for our “Carleton Photo”!