Cross Country teams set for MIAC ‘Ships: Men hope youth equals success

<erature is dropping, winds are rising, even Minnesotans are shivering, and the Carleton men’s cross country team is preparing to take to the course on Saturday to compete in the MIAC Championships in St. Paul. The men’s race takes place at Como Park in St. Paul and will begin at 2:15 p.m., while the women’s race will follow at 3 p.m.

Reports from farms outside of Northfield confirm that the hay is in the barn, a welcome reassurance for the Carleton harriers, who are ready for the biggest race of the season, and the first time that all healthy members of the team will race together. 

The Knights finished sixth last year in a race that featured a restart after a few runners fell down in the first hundred meters. A muddy course and poor starting line arrangement probably helped cause the early mayhem.

This year the young Knights hope to improve on last year’s finish and run a smart race heading into the last couple weeks of the season.

Defending champions Hamline return five of their top seven finishers from last year and look poised to dominate the meet. The Hamdogs scored 61 points last year and will be looking not only to repeat as conference champs but also to lower their point total. St. Olaf and Saint John’s will be nipping at their heels to try to pull an upset. Word is still out on whether the Tommies, who have finished second each of the past two years, will be told to walk home if they fail to come away with the victory. 

The individual race looks like it will be a battle between Concordia’s Tom Sederquist, St. Thomas’ Ben Sathre, and Hamline’s Devin Monson, all of whom have finished first in at least one meet this season.
On an encouraging note, after spending over a month recovering from a stress fracture, John Davis ’11 plans to race at the conference meet. The Knights have sorely missed Davis, the top returner from last year’s squad. This will be the final conference meet for seniors Davis, Michael Knudson, Joe Marren, Ben Parks, and Colin Sinclair.  

The Great Karhu Shoe Race, an annual dual meet between Carleton and cross-town rival St. Olaf, will follow the MIAC Championships on Thursday. Karhu will return to the Carleton arboretum this year, and the Knights will have their work cut out to try to take back the Karhu Shoes from a deep Olaf team. To cheer on your favorite costumed Carl, traipse over to the starting line behind the Rec Center before 4:30 p.m. on Thursday the 4th.

-Colin Sinclair is a member of the men’s cross country team.