Football cooks up Mac, returns to campus for Senior Day tomorrow

<ugh many of the 560,000-plus books at Carleton College receive regular use, there are some that sit untouched, gathering dust. Such is the case with the Book of Knowledge, the prized trophy at the center of the annual grudge match between the Carleton and Macalester football teams. For the eighth straight year, Carleton (3-4, 2-3 MIAC) asserted its dominance over the Scots on the gridiron and maintained possession of the treasured tome, rolling to a 42-27 win last Saturday in St. Paul.

As has often been the case in this tumultuous season, Saturday’s game was originally intended to be played at Laird Stadium, but was relocated to Macalester’s campus in the aftermath of last month’s flooding. The change of scenery did nothing to faze the Knights, however, as their offense made themselves at home and enjoyed a record-setting night under the lights. Carleton registered the 10th greatest single-game rushing output in program history, totaling 307 yards on the ground, while averaging a school-record 8.1 yards per carry, as the offensive line routinely created huge holes in the Macalester defense.

Though it was the Knights’ ground game mastery that etched itself into the record books, all four of their first half touchdowns came through the air, as quarterback Vaughn Schmid ‘12 complemented his team-leading 168 yard rushing performance by throwing for 195 yards with no interceptions. The line also paved the way for Jon Lien ‘12 to chip in 149 yards and a touchdown of his own.

Pity the fool that did not start C.J. Dale ‘13 in fantasy this week. As an encore to his score on a kickoff return the previous weekend, the sophomore victimized the Scots by hauling in three touchdown grabs before halftime. Dale’s impersonation of former receiving greats Matt Frank and Chris Gardner began with a 34-yard catch from Schmid in the first quarter that put Carleton ahead 14-0. The pair then hooked up twice in the second quarter, from 14 and 48 yards respectively to help the Knights build a 28-14 lead going into intermission.

The Knights kept the stove hot in the second half, and built on their lead mid-way through the third quarter when Schmid rumbled 15 yards for a score. Macalester responded with a touchdown of its own, but Curtis Vamarasi ’14 blocked his second kick of the year, nullifying the extra point attempt to give the Knights a 35-20 advantage.

In the fourth quarter, the Scots would pull within one possession of the Knights when a Kilian Murphy ‘11 fumble set off a 67-yard touchdown drive that made it 35-27 with just under five minutes to play.
The Knights doused any hopes their foes had of a comeback on their next possession, however, answering with controlled drive that was capped by a 17-yard touchdown run from an untouched Lien. DeAngelo Williams ‘12 was instrumental in setting up the victory-sealing drive with a clutch 41-yard kickoff return.

On Saturday, the Knights will make their long awaited return to the flood-damaged ramparts of Laird Stadium to take on Saint John’s University. Though a jubilant atmosphere is sure to greet the team for their home finale, the Knights will hardly have time to enjoy their homecoming, as they are faced with the daunting challenge of going head-to-head with one of the conference’s most prolific offenses. The Johnnies pace the MIAC in total offense, and are second only to national-No. 4 St. Thomas in scoring. The Senior Day festivities will kickoff promptly at 1 p.m.