Volleyball roasts Hamline

<llowing a quiet weekend over the midterm break, the Knights took the court on Wednesday evening in Cowling Gymnasium. In a game lasting just over an hour, the team dominated the Hamline Pipers in three sets (25-16, 25-15, 27-25).

The Knights controlled from the get go, quickly getting off on a 7-1 lead, thanks to three kills by Jessa Youso ’13. The set continued with few errors from the Lady Knights and kills all the way around. Youso totaled eight for the set. Other key players were Kelly Lovett ’11 and Kyla Walter ’11 each with two kills. Setter Beth Jarrett ’11 also boasted two key kills, highlighting the intelligent play shown by the whole team.

In the second set, Ellie Schmidt ’14 was on a roll. She had 11 defensive digs for the match, second only to libero Erin Anderson ‘12 with 14. Schmidt’s agility and quick thinking saved many key points, allowing the knights to continue their streak. Sarah Nielsen ’13 also contributed several crucial blocks during the second set.  Though the Pipers tried to stop the Knights, they proved no match for Carleton.
Hamline challenged the Knights’ strong play in the third set. The Knights trailed the Pipers, but caught and tied the score 23-23 after a Hamline attack error and a double block by Nielson and Lovett. After two consecutive service errors from both sides of the net, spectators wondered whether the match would be forced into a fourth set. The Knights quelled their fears, however, with a kill by Nielsen and a service ace from Lovett to win the match 27-25.

Over the course of the evening, Youso rang in an impressive 14 kills, Lovett had 11, and Walter and Sami Kemper ’14 each contributed nine. Jarrett supported the big hitters in a big way with 43 assists, a collegiate career high in a three-set game.  Nielson also contributed to the Knights’ success by participating in almost 80 percent of the evening’s blocks.

The Knights, now 9-15 overall and 2-6 in the MIAC, were in their element on the court on Wednesday against the Pipers. This important win put them in high spirits and bodes well for the rest of their season.

“It was awesome to see all our hard work come together tonight and put away a conference team in a quick three games,” said Jarrett. “It was our aggressiveness and smart play that won it for us tonight.” 
Come support the Knights as they take on nationally ranked No. 13 St. Thomas at their final home match of the season tomorrow, October 23rd, at 3 p.m. in Cowling Gymnasium.