Wins continue for scorching Men’s Soccer: First-place Knights roast Royals, torch Tommies, await Auggies for huge match

<rleton Men's Soccer team experienced a triumphant return to Bell Field this week. With a pair of home games against MIAC foes, the Knights were able to smash a beleaguered Bethel University squad and stomp on the University St. Thomas.

On Saturday, the Knights faced off against Bethel, seeking to keep their place at the top of the MIAC standings. Neil Bartholomay ’14 found his stride, playing a long ball behind the Bethel defenders for Tim Wills ’12. Wills wasted no time, chipping the keeper for his 9th goal of the season.

Bartholomay didn’t stop there, scoring his first collegiate goal with a nicely placed header off a corner kick from classmate Will Corcoran. The strike came just 14 minutes after Bartholomay tallied his second assist of the season.

Carleton refused to sit back with a 2-0 lead, and 12 minutes later, Miles Silbert ’12 capitalized on a narrow opening in the defense, blasting a shot into the back netting from 12 yards out.

Goalkeeper Pete Semmer ’11 even got involved in the Carleton offensive showcase, as his booming punt in the 77th minute found its way to Silbert for the junior’s second goal of the game.

With their stellar record intact, the Knights took on perennial MIAC contender St. Thomas on Wednesday. Bartholomay picked up where he left off the previous game, scoring within the first three minutes. Thanks to Semmer’s tremendous efforts in goal, Carleton’s 1-0 lead held out for the remaining 87 minutes.

As to be expected with the aggressive Tommies, the game turned rough almost immediately. A shoving match broke out as a Tommie bodily expressed his disapproval with the physical play of Andrew Thappa ’12, and the five yellow cards earned over the course of the game did little to discourage either team’s intensity.

With only two MIAC games left, the Knights need a strong performance against Augsburg on Saturday to keep their dreams of a fourth consecutive conference title alive. The potent Knights offense, paced by Wills (a MIAC-leading nine goals), Wes Elfman ’11 (six goals), and Silbert (five goals) will surely seek to continue its scoring deluge, while the defense, led by Courtney Morris ’11 and often bolstered late in games by Sam McKay ’11, will try to contain the Auggies’ explosive attack. Over the past few years, Augsburg has proven its worth on the national stage, reaching the NCAA Sweet Sixteen in 2008, and its fast-paced game forces other teams to adjust their strategy. Saturday’s game promises to be the defining game of the Knights’ season. Make sure you get to Bell Field tomorrow at 1:00 pm and witness.