Caught in the ACT: Civic Engagement Series in Review

<ast weekend marked the end of the ACT Center’s month-long Civic Engagement Series. Sponsored by the Julianne Williams fund, the Civic Engagement Series serves to bring a relevant issue of social justice to the Carleton campus through events, panels, and other exciting activities. Each year the series has a theme, and this year ACT chose food. Let’s take a look back to see what we did this February…

The series began with an alumni panel called “Careers in Food.” Next up, the Food Service Director from the Northfield Public Schools and a graduate student in holistic nutrition came to speak about youth and nutrition. The third panel focused on organic food and hunger; speakers included two organic farmers and the director of the Minnesota Emergency Food Shelf Network. The final panel, “Who is Northfield,” brought local residents involved with food issues to campus to speak about their experiences.

In addition to these panels, there were also trips to the Midtown Global Market in Minneapolis and Shepherd’s Way Farm in Nerstrand, weekly food-related movie showings in the Athenaeum, and a book exhibit in the library.

Hopefully you got a chance to check out one of more of these events. If not, be sure to participate in next year’s Civic Engagement Series! It is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about and get involved with an important topic in today’s world.