Swimmers set new bests at Minnesota Challenge, prep for MIAC Championships

<sday through Saturday the Knights’ swimming and diving teams will compete in the MIAC conference championship meet, held at the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center.

With a limit on the number of participants from each team, some of both the men’s and women’s teams wrapped up their season last weekend at the Minnesota Challenge meet. Armed with a couple of weeks of reduced workouts and a good shave, the tapered swimmers led the knights all weekend with surprising performances.

The rested swimmers racked up a grand total of over 100 season best performances, many of them also lifetime bests. For the women, Megan Lynn and Annalisa Andre both finished off their Carleton careers with great swims, amassing a total of 6 season best times. Alfredo Guzman and John Schlaefer also went out in style for the men’s team, both setting lifetime bests in more than one event.

In addition, the Minnesota Challenge was a good practice run for the swimmers competing in next week’s MIAC championship meet. Last weekend presented a unique opportunity for the Knights to swim in the same venue as the conference championship. The women’s team looks to defend their title as MIAC champions while the men’s team attempts to improve on its fourth place finish last year. The conference squad is reducing workouts and looks to have performances similar to the taper group that finished last weekend.