Men’s soccer loses heartbreaker in finals

<ccer season came to an abrupt end last Saturday following a disappointing 1-0 loss to Macalester College in the championship game of the MIAC tournament.

Despite outshooting Macalester 12-7, the Knights were unable to find the back of the net for just the third time this season. The lone goal of the game came in the 60th minute when Macalester’s Scott Petesch tapped in a loose ball just past goalkeeper Pete Semmer ’11. Following the goal, the Knights had numerous chances to tie the game, but the Macalester defense was able to fend off all attempts in route to securing the MIAC championship and an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

Despite the loss, the Knights still had hopes for an NCAA tournament bid of their own. Their dreams would be crushed on Sunday night, however, when they were denied their second straight NCAA tournament appearance.

Although the season ended earlier than hoped, the 2009 campaign was by no means a disappointment. The Knights won their 3rd consecutive regular season MIAC championship and finished with an overall record of 15-5.

The end of the season also marks the end of the careers of the four most successful players in Carleton history. The Knights will lose key contributors in Brett Adelman ’10, Ross Hamilton ’10, Robert Carlton ’10, and Lyndon DeSalvo ’10. These four seniors won a school record 57 career games, including 3 MIAC regular season titles, 1 MIAC playoff championship, and an appearance in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament.