Tennis tied for 1st in MIAC

< of their winter season nearing, the Carleton women’s tennis team remained at the top of the MIAC with two wins this past week. First, the Knights handily defeated Bethel University with a resounding score of 9-0 on last Thursday. Kathryn Schmidt ’12 and Erin Gudul ’12 paired to lead all three doubles teams in identical 8-2 victories. Hannah Goldberg ’10 and Linnea Carlson ’12 partnered at second doubles and were followed by Frances Leung ’10 and Devin Daugherty ’11 at the third position. In singles, Schmidt, Gudul, Goldberg, Leung, Daugherty and Hannah Clemons ’10 were all victorious in straight sets.

The team then got a week break before taking on College of St. Catherine in Minneapolis. Schmidt and Gudul were again winners with a score of 8-2, as were Goldberg and Carlson. Leung and Daugherty’s third doubles match proved to be more of a challenge, but they prevailed 9-7. In singles, the Knights dominated 5 of the six matches, notching victories from Schmidt, Gudul, Leung, Clemons and Daugherty. With an 8-1 victory, the women are tied for first in the MIAC. Their final winter season match is this Saturday against archrival St Thomas. A victory would put Carleton undisputedly in first place before heading into their non-league spring break trip.