Franco sets 400m record

<re Franco ’12 is the Blake Hansen of track. While Hansen is out of the country and the campus has allowed the laziness of winter to set in, we can shift our attention to Franco for alternate entertainment. Last weekend, Franco competed in her first collegiate track and field meet at Carleton, where she wasted no time in breaking the school record in the 400m with a time of 58.73 seconds directly after winning the 200m dash. She only needs to shave off 0.03 seconds off of her 400m time to reach the provisional qualifying mark for the NCAA National Championships. Franco can be easily identified by her mysteriously ripped shirts, permanent yet genuine grin, and minimum decibel level of 65 (about the same as a small orchestra).

Luckily for those seduced by endurance, the Carleton admissions office has been kind enough to bring us Simone Childs-Walker ’12, who, after winning her first 5000m in 17:49.49, is just five seconds away from the provisional qualifying mark. The true highlights of the meet however, were the heartwarming sportsmanship, enthusiasm, and support every member of the men’s and women’s teams shared with all athletes. Looking to spice up your Valentine’s Day? Find out what stunts Clare, Simone, and their teammates will pull off tomorrow afternoon at the Rec in what promises to be an exciting competition.