Volleyball finishes season with five set win over St. Olaf

<rleton’s women’s volleyball team avenged last season’s loss to St. Olaf College Oles by defeating their cross-town rivals in five sets (25-17, 25-20, 17-25, 23-25, 15-9) last Saturday night. With this victory, the Knights (11-14, 5-6 MIAC) ended their season in a three-way tie for sixth place.

In front of a raucous crowd filled with Carleton students in Halloween costumes, the Knights jumped out to a 7-2 lead. Coach Jaynes’s team never relinquished that lead and took the opening set 24-17. Carleton’s momentum carried over into next set as the Knights rode a 10-3 run to 25-20 victory. However, Carleton struggled to close the door on St. Olaf as the Oles regained their composure in the third and fourth sets, winning 25-17 and 25-23 respectively. Fortunately, the Knights refused to allow their season to end on a loss to St. Olaf. Carleton took the last four points in the match, capped off by a service ace from Erin Anderson’12 that fell between three Oles, to win the final set 15-9.

This cross-town matchup marked the last collegiate match for seniors Megan La Chapelle, Sarah Kunelius, and Katie Stanchak. La Chapelle played one of her finest matches as she had 14 kills and 20 digs. Kunelius and Stanchak played well in their swan song as well; Kunelius finished with nine kills and Stanchak had 11 digs. Carleton’s women’s volleyball team will miss La Chapelle’s all-around ability, Kunelius’s emotional leadership and blocking ability, and Stanchak’s clutch play, and, most importantly, the hard work and dedication that all three women brought to the program,

Yet, despite these key losses, Coach Jaynes’s team has reason for hope. Kyla Walter ’11 was a hitting machine in the final weeks of the season. Annie Eckhoff ’10, by the end of the season, was regaining the form that made her one of the elite players in the MIAC. By next year, Laura Barsness ’10 will have three years of playing experience under her belt and should be considered one of best liberos in the MIAC. Kelly Lovett ’11, Sarah Halls ’10, Beth Jarrett ’11, Maddy Lenhard ’11, and Erin Anderson ’12 made tremendous contributions this year and gained valuable experience. In addition, Sam Baker ’11 and Ailsa McCulloch ’12 are ready to fill the void left by departing seniors. Yes, the future is bright for Carleton’s women’s volleyball team.