Cross country takes on the conference The women’s team takes 3rd, the men’s team takes 7th

<turday, the women’s cross country team left the rest of the MIAC quaking in its boots as they grabbed 3rd in the conference championship, two points behind Bethel, and a mere five points behind St. Thomas, who won the meet with 66 points.

Simone Childs-Walker ’12 pushed herself into monster mode to pass the St. Thomas’s formidable Katie Theisen, earning 4th place in 22:04. Next, Laura Roach ’10 upped the anti by zooming by Tommie Kelly Russ, finishing 8th with a time of 22:38. Keeping their eyes on Carleton’s two All-MIAC runners, St. Thomas’s pack of third, fourth, and fifth runners crossed the line just in front of Carleton’s, which included Alison Smyth ‘12, Karen Campbell ‘09, and Taylor Ffitch ‘12, all earning All-Conference Honorable Mentions.

Every single Knight battled with her whole heart on Saturday, but Irene Koplinka-Loehr ’10 and Kate Meyer ’09 each gave timelessly inspiring performances. Now that the Tommies have put their cards on the table, they won’t be able to sneak by the Carls so easily next time, as the whole team has its eye on the ultimate prize: outscoring both St. Thomas and Bethel, and earning a bid to Nationals. This frighteningly close race indicates that the Regionals meet to be held at Grinnell next weekend will be an incredible test of fuel, fire, and hot desire, all of which the Knights have in abundance.