Carleton soccer continues to dominate MIAC

< convincing 1-0 win over Hamline University, the Carleton men’s soccer team clinched a spot in the post-season MIAC playoffs for a second consecutive year. Though the Knights had previously faced difficulties against the Pipers, not beating them in four years, history was erased as the Knights dominated the match. Wes Elfman ’11, sealed the Knights’ victory with an immaculate finish off of an impeccable pass by senior captain Paul Pedtke. Also critical in the Knights’ victory was the rock solid performance of Ross Hamilton ’10, whose command of the midfield allowed the Knights free reign over the reeling Pipers.

The precision of the Knights’ offense was matched only by the reliability of their defense. At the heart of the spirited Carleton defense were Jack Boller ’09 and Robert Carleton ’10, who combined on several tackles and covers with symbiotic precision. Pete Semmer ’11 held the Pipers scoreless with his strong command of the box and organization of his defense.

Less than two days later, the Knights traveled to Waverly, Iowa, where they tied the school’s win record with an inspired victor over Wartburg College. Carleton came out strong in the first half, peppering the Wartburg keeper with over five shots in the first 10 minutes of play. Carleton managed to break through in the 15th minute, as Brian TenHoor ’09 threaded a perfect ball through three defenders to an onrushing Bobby Phillips ’09, who fired home the only goal of the match. Wartburg battled back, however, and goalkeeper Pete Semmer ’11 was forced to make several saves throughout the rest of the first half. After the half-time break the Knights seemed rejuvenated and threatened to increase their lead with frequent menacing attacks on goal. Hamilton ’10 and Pedtke both played outstanding matches for the Knights as they dictated the pace and flow of the game in the midfield. The Knights continue their march to the postseason as they travel to Chicago to take on North Park University on Saturday.