St. Olaf College to host “Making it in the Arts” conference

<turday, Oct. 18, St. Olaf College will host the second annual "Making It in the Arts” Conference. This will be an opportunity for members of the Northfield community to learn about entrepreneurship in relation to the arts. "Making It in the Arts" will help participants learn how to best apply artistic interests and creativity for success in future business endeavors. The conference will be held in Buntrock from 8:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Lunch will be provided. Those interested in attending the conference can access a registration form at stolaf.edu/conferences/miita.

Topics to be discussed include how to start, market, and manage an arts organization. Question and answer sessions will be included. “Young people from all fields need to understand something about entrepreneurship,” says Philip Brunelle, the keynote speaker, who holds an honorary degree from St. Olaf. “Developing something comes with risk, and this isn’t a topic that’s taught in the classroom.”

Brunelle is the founder and artistic director of VocalEssence, a Twin Cities-based choral group. Formed in 1991, VocalEssence has toured internationally and often appears on the popular radio program, “A Prairie Home Companion.” This ensemble specializes in presenting a wide range of choral works, from traditional pieces to world premiers. Other speakers include Jennifer Dotson, Co-Founder & Executive Director of Alive Arts Media, Inc.; Scott Stulen, Project Director for mnartists.org at the Walker Art Center; Mark Nerenhausen, President/CEO of the Broward Center for the Performing Arts; Beth Chaplin, a professional actor; Mary Abrams, Founder and Director of Moving Body Resources and many other speakers from diverse artistic fields.