Women’s tennis led by first-year standouts at ITA tournament

<men’s tennis team will definitely not be lacking in young talent this season. Kathryn Schmidt ’12 and Erin Gudul ’12 hadn’t even completed a full week of classes when they entered into the fall ITA tournament at Gustavus Adolphus College. The two competed in both singles and doubles. Even more impressive, Schmidt made it to the quarterfinals before losing to the top seed in the tournament, Jordan Hook of Wheaton College. Gudul also had a solid showing in singles, making it to the third round.

Hannah Clemons ‘10, the team’s top returnee on campus, had a tournament of ups and downs. While she lost in the first round to the second seed from Coe College, she came back strong to win her first match in the consolation draw, before losing in the second round of consolation.

In doubles, the freshmen once again defied expectations. Schmidt and Gudul made it to the semi-finals of the doubles draw where they faced the third seeded team from Coe College. In a hard fought match, Schmidt and Gudul had four match points before losing in the tiebreaker to the eventual champions.

Despite a frustrating end to the tournament, Schmidt and Gudul have already proven to be incredible assets to a women’s program that has high hopes for the season.