Men’s track heads MIAC Championships

<day the men’s track team begins competing in the MIAC Outdoor Track and Field Championships held at the Klas Center in St. Paul. The Knights will look to improve on their fifth place finish this winter at the indoor championships.

The Knights are already on the scoreboard thanks to Kane Bechstien ’09 who placed 5th place in the two day MIAC Decathlon. Bechstien scored 5,577 points and had season’s best times in eight of the ten events, including a first place finish in the 100 meter dash, and second place finishes in the pole vault and javelin.

Tom Ballinger ’09 is expected to be on of Carleton’s top scorers. He is the top seed in the 400-meter hurdles, an event in which he placed last year. He will also be running as part of the Knight’s 4×100 and 4×400 meter relay teams.

In the short distances, the Knights will look to Nick Cesarek ’09 and Jack Delehanty ’09. Cesarek will compete in the 100, 200 and 400 meter dashes in addition to the javelin. Delehanty is one of the best 800 meter runners in the conference and will also be on Carleton’s 4×400 team.

In terms of distance runners, Joe Sepe ’08 and Charlie Gambe ’10 will look to score points in their respective events. Sepe has run some of the fastest 5,000 meter runs this season. Gamble is also one of the best 1,500 and 5,000 meter runners in the conference as well.

The Knights have high expectations for the two day meet as the Knights continue their season and strive to obtain qualifying times for the NCAA Outdoor Championships.