Carleton women complete track-o-rama

<rleton women’s track and field team has finished a whirlwind track-filled last seven days, commonly known as track-o-rama week, in preparation for conference competition this weekend. In the course of five days last week, the team competed in or assisted with four different meets.

The Knights competed at St. Thomas’ Tommie Twilight, hosted the MIAC Heptathlon/ Decathlon and the Carleton Interscholastic Track and Field Meet, and competed at Hamline’s Meet of the UnSaintly. The Knights exited the weekend with many fine performances and having finally got some sun after several meets had been canceled due to inadequate weather.

Leading the way for the team at the Tommie Twilight were the javelin throwers, as Carleton took three of the top six performances in the event. Kelly Lovett ’11, led the charge, finishing second with a throw of 35.17 meters, but she was followed closely by Yusi He ’09, and Annie Eckhoff ’10, who finished fourth and sixth, respectively. All three throwers had season-best performances.

Also in the field events, Brasil Perez-Lukes ’11 had a personal best jump in the high jump of 1.55 meters, to finish third, and Eckhoff also picked up an eighth place finish in the triple jump.

Katherine Wingert ’08 picked up the other second place finish for Carleton at the meet, finishing second in the 1500 meter run in a time of 4:39.96, less than a second behind Anna VanWechel from Minnesota-Moorehead.

Kelsey Donald ’10 had a strong performance in the 400 meter dash, finishing sixth in 60.45 seconds. Other top finishers on the track included Laura Roach ’10, who finished fifth in the 1500 meter run in 4:48.89, and Irene Koplinka-Loehr ’10 who finished seventh in the steeplechase with a time of 12:07.16.

A handful of Carleton athletes also traveled to Hamline on Sunday for a rescheduled Meet of the UnSaintly. Annie Eckhoff once again had a stellar throw in the javelin, throwing 38.35 meters to win the event. The throw is the fourth best throw in the MIAC this year, and came in Eckhoff’s second time competing in the event. She also placed fourth in the triple jump in the meet, with a jump of 10.15 meters.

Kelly Lovett also had a season best throw in the javelin, finishing fourth with a throw of 35.55 meters. Laura Roach was fifth in the 800 meter run in 2:20.32, with Lauren Milne ’08 close behind in ninth. Kelsey Donald was seventh in the 200 meter dash, finishing in 26.76, and Brasil Perez-Lukes ran a season-best time in the 100 meter hurdles of 16.59, finishing ninth, and also pole vaulted a season-high of 3.00 meters to finish seventh.

Track-o-rama week wrapped up regular season competition for the team, which will now look forward to the conference meet today and tomorrow at Hamline.